Washington — Russia has taken the unprecedented step of censoring news coverage of the U.S. government’s war in Afghanistan.
In an unprecedented move, the State Department and the Pentagon have said that the news coverage is being restricted for any news stories related to the war.
The Pentagon said it would “not publish news stories that might undermine U.N. efforts to stop the Taliban from reopening and rearming, or the U to pursue an objective in Afghanistan.”
In the State department’s statement, it is unclear if the news articles were critical of the Afghan government or the Taliban.
Russia is the official sponsor of the NATO-led mission in Afghanistan, which has pushed the Taliban to the negotiating table.
“We are taking steps to protect ourselves against the possible threat of manipulation of the international news and opinion by the United States,” State Department Spokesman John Kirby said in a statement on Monday.
“As part of our efforts to protect our interests and interests of NATO allies, we have instructed our partners to not publish, broadcast, broadcast via the Internet, or circulate any information that might influence our decision-making in the future, and will refrain from discussing the ongoing military campaign.”
Russia’s statement on the new restrictions comes as NATO has been unable to find any significant military gains in Afghanistan in its six-year war.
Earlier this week, NATO launched a war in eastern Afghanistan that has claimed the lives of more than 5,000 Afghan soldiers and civilians.
The U.K.-based International Institute for Strategic Studies (IISS) said that in recent months, the number of NATO casualties has dropped dramatically.
In October, the IISS estimated that the NATO mission in Kabul had killed 5,828 people.
The Taliban and other insurgent groups have been largely silenced in Afghanistan since NATO began its bombing campaign in October 2015.